Friday, December 16, 2011

LOVE

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:1-7

This week of Advent, we've looked at the sacrificial love of God and how to become part of the holy family. We've learned that the gift of salvation through grace opens our eyes to God's love for the first time, and that as we walk with Him, He fills us with His Spirit. His powerful presence then overflows unto others so they may see God through our acts of love. And then His love is made complete in us. But the journey doesn't end there!

We have to take it a step further and discover that even if we do great things, we accomplish nothing if we are not motivated by love. Love is what makes a difference in the world, and when God does something, His goal is love. Sometimes it's hard to understand what God is doing, and that's why we need to keep asking God to work through us and help us understand His loving ways. The Bible says that if we ask, we will receive, and if we knock, the door will be opened to us (Matthew 7:7). We need to ask, seek, and knock at the door of this divine love, and it will be opened to us. Then His love will fill us so much that we will literally see God's hand at work around us today.

Dear Heavenly Father, I so need to see Your love at work in our world! I humbly pray for this awesome gift. I make this prayer in Christ's name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment