Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's okay not to be okay . . .

My grandmother has a cartoon on her refrigerator. It shows a cow on its back with all four legs in the air. The caption reads, "I'm fine, really, I'm fine."

A lot of us handle the storms in our lives like that cow. We stand in the rain soaking wet with a smile on our faces in our cute pair of galoshes and say, “I’m dry, really, I’m dry.”

I know what that’s like because I did it for years. Somewhere along the way I was told,“Christians need to be happy all the time. If you’re not happy, what will people think about Jesus?”

If you want to breed a herd of perfectionists, just say that a few times from the pulpit.

For many years my life was mostly sunny. I could grin and bear it through the few showers that came along. But then came The Storm—the type that makes the weather channel flash maps covered with red and send warnings about taking shelter immediately.

It’s one thing to stand outside in a nice little shower. It’s another thing to be that crazy news anchor hanging onto a light pole in the middle of a hurricane.

I couldn’t do it anymore. Like the rain that streamed down in my world, something opened in my heart and hurt poured out from a place I had kept locked for years.

Then I waited. I listened for the rebukes. I watched for the disapproving stares. I stiffened my soul for the hard hand of God.

But instead of those things I encountered the last thing I ever expected to find.

Love.

I felt it in the kindness of friends and family. I heard it in comforting words. I discovered it deep within my heart as God whispered, “I’m here with you.”

I also realized I wasn’t the only one who was wet. People began to open up to me. Everyone I knew had some type of rain in their lives. We were one great, big, beautiful soggy mess…and God loved us all.

So if you’re still muttering under your breath, “I’m dry, really, I’m dry” then I invite you to admit that there’s a storm in your life.

It’s okay to not be okay.

When we embrace that grace, we’re finally free to discover that love is waiting for us in the center of the storm.

Dear Lord, I'll praise you in the storm and I will lift my hands for You are who You are no matter where I am. And every tear I've cried You hold in your hand. You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm. I lift my eyes onto the hills, where does my help come from? Help me remember my help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. In Your Name, Amen.

Friends, it is okay to not be okay. So, if someone asks you how you are doing? Be honest. Allow them to minister to you. God has placed them in your life at the right moment to be who you need them to be. If you have asked someone how they are and they say not okay, find out how you can help them. Listen, pray with them, just let them know someone cares and God will take care of the rest. It is time to start helping each other and not just worry about ourselves. There are so many hurting people that just need us to be Jesus with skin on. I challenge you to find that hurting person in your work place, your neighborhood, in your church pew or maybe even in your own home. Talk to them, listen to them, give them a smile or a hug. You will not only be a blessing to them but you will be blessed by them.

Have a great day
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment