Thursday, September 22, 2011

In God's Heart You Are . . . Strong

Women sometimes joke about feeling as if we need to be like Wonder Woman in our daily lives. We often juggle a career, kids, marriage, friendships, and church activities. We start the day exhausted and end it the same way. Yet we push ahead, feeling sure we too are called to be superheroines who save the world. We pay the price with our bodies, hearts, and minds.
Many of us also harbor a secret—one we share with only a few people. Despite our Herculean efforts, our endless giving, and our selfless devotion…they never feel like enough. There is always another load of laundry to do, another hurting heart to comfort, another Bible study to attend. We silently wonder, “If this is the abundant life, why am I so tired?”

I’ll admit that I’ve often struggled with this question. As a type A, motivated, goal-oriented woman, I can wear myself out in a hurry. Wonder Woman and I are a bit different. She knows her mission, and that’s all she does. She also knows both her powers and her limitations.

I, on the other hand, look at Philippians 4:13 and say, “I can do everything…so that’s what I’d better do.” But I’m learning that God never calls me to do it all. My mission isn’t to save the world; Jesus has already done that. My mission also isn’t to be like my neighbors or the women I admire in my Bible study.

You are either living your mission or you are living someone else’s. The world tells us we need to do it all; Jesus reminds us that we’re called to fulfill a unique purpose. We can recognize our God-given strengths and respect our limitations. And when we do, the power we have through Christ exceeds anything we can imagine.

In the kingdom of God, we’re all Wonder Women.

Life is hard sometimes—
crazy, mixed-up, messed up.
And there you are in the middle of it all,
just doing your thing…
being strong and brave
and beautiful
like it’s no big deal.
But let me tell you, girl,
it is.
Not everyone can do what you can do.
Not everyone can handle things the way you can.
And while you wonder sometimes
if you’re doing okay…
the rest of us are just
watching in wonder.

Dear Lord, help me to be the wonder woman you called me to be, and nothing else. Give me the desire to search for my strengths and know what You call me to do. Not my friend, the gal in the next cubicle, or the lady down the street, but me (insert name here) I want to serve You and be excited about that and not exhausted by it. Show me my direction. In Your Name, Amen.

Ok, wonder woman... take the time to pray about what God would have you continue to do in your life and your families life and do it. Let go of the things He may be leading you to let go of. Someone else will have that job to do, so give it up. Keep going... You can do it, with God's help I know you can.
Have a super Thursday.
Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment