Thursday, September 29, 2011

Run the Race

So after a week of amazing Bible studies here at church as well as on the blog, God is impressing on my heart these thoughts today. I was going to do the "usual" devotion, but it seems that God wants to impress on your heart what He has impressed on my heart today during our Thursday morning study.

"You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally. I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself."
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (MSG)

Loved this verse in the Message version. No sloppy living... what a concept! So, I went to my application Bible and here is what it says about these verses:

Winning a race requires purpose and discipline. Paul uses this illustration to explain that the Christian life takes hard work, self-denial, and grueling preparation. As Christians, we are running toward our heavenly reward. The essential disciplines of prayer, Bible study, and worship equip us to run with vigor and stamina. Don't merely observe from the grandstand; don't just run out to jog a couple of laps each morning. Train diligently - your spiritual progress depends on it. At times we must even give up something good in order to do what God wants. Each person's special duties determine the discipline and denial that he or she must accept. Without a goal, discipline is nothing but self-punishment. With the goal of pleasing God, our denial seems like nothing compared to the eternal, imperishable reward that will be ours. It is easy to tell others how to live and then not to take our own advice. We must be careful to practice what we preach.

Did that just make you exhausted to read? or excited to run a race like that? Are you doing the "workouts" needed to run this race? How is your prayer life? Do you go to God in everything or just when life gets tough? Are you in a Bible study? Or do you think I have done those and know the answers, God couldn't have anything new to teach me? Or have you never done a Bible study and are scared that people will know this is your first time? Do you take the time to come to worship each week and praise God with your mind, heart and soul? We all have our own race to win and we can choose to finish with a win or lose. We are each on our own race, so no one can beat you. You can win your race! But you do have to train hard for it and keep going even in the tough times and especially in the good times when you might forget that the race is still going.

I challenge you to really pray and think about your race. Not your spouses or your kids, the neighbors or even the person sitting in the next office.... YOUR RACE!! How are you doing? Do you need any strength training? I know I want to discipline myself to better serve God and not have a 'sloppy life'.

Keep running friend! God will help you.
Have a super Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment